Most patients admitted to the hospital have laboratory tests as a routing part of their stay. The information we gather from the tests completed in our laboratory is important in helping your doctor give you the best possible care. Only your doctor or provider can order these tests. Evans Memorial Hospital Laboratory offers the services of a fully accredited laboratory. We are licensed by the State of Georgia and accredited by The Joint Commission. We have a board-certified pathologist to meet the needs of both our patients and doctors.
We provide services for both inpatients and outpatients twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. We perform many tests on site. However, we also have the option of sending tests out to larger accredited reference laboratories.
The phlebotomist is the person responsible for drawing a patient’s blood, collecting urine and specimens on swabs. The specimens are sent to the lab for testing.
The laboratory offers services in the areas of:
- Chemistry - Test for the chemicals present in blood. These tests may include cardiac enzymes, hormones, lipids such as cholesterol, blood sugar, and many more.
- Hematology - Processes whole blood to do a full blood count. Provides hemoglobin, hematocrit, white blood count, and platelet count. Helps diagnose and monitor infection, sickle cell disease, leukemia, and other illnesses.
- Urinalysis - Tests urine for many analytes. Helps to diagnose urinary tract infections, monitor diabetes, and kidney function.
- Serology - Allows testing for Flu, Strep throat, Mono, RSV, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and many more illnesses.
- Microbiology - Receives clinical specimens including swabs, feces, urine, blood, sputum, and more. Microbiology helps identify the specific cause of infections and determine the most effective antibiotic to use for treatment.
- Coagulation- Requires blood samples. Tests are performed to determine blood clotting times and coagulation factors, in addition to monitoring blood thinners.
- Blood Bank - Determines blood types and performs compatibility testing for blood to be transfused.