Evans Memorial History
For the people of Evans County, the dream of getting a county hospital began on August 6, 1946.
On December 11, 1965, nine members were finally named to the Hospital Authority, charged with finding the best means for providing a hospital for Evans County.
The mission of Evans Memorial Hospital is to provide the best quality healthcare to our patients and our community.
The 45-bed facility was opened by the Hospital Authority of Evans County on February 12, 1968, the realization of a dream that began over 20 years before had finally come true.
In December 1974, the Hospital Authority added 28 beds, a library, conference room, laundry, office space and more storage rooms.
In 1979, six physician offices were completed.
The Hospital Authority reorganized and leased the hospital to Evans Memorial Hospital, Inc., creating governing boards effective October 1, 1996.In 1997, EMH, Inc. purchased the 160-bed Glenvue Nursing Home in Glennville, Georgia.
In 2002, an 8,000 sq. ft. rehabilitation building was completed, built with donated funds. The Jack Strickland Rehabilitation Center serves our community by providing Physical Therapy services and Exercise Rehabilitation.
EMH was inspected by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) in December 2002 and remained accredited until 2017. In 2017, EMH made the decision to become accredited under DNV GL Healthcare USA Inc. and remains accrediated today.